Sunday, June 19, 2005

Wallpaper Desktop Tool –- Wallpaper Changer (version 1.9)

Wallpaper Changer
Wallpaper Changer Screen Shot (click on the image to enlarge)


Wallpaper Changer is a wallpaper manager that can change your background images on every startup, once a day or at regular intervals. Although it only supports four image formats, it supports the most popular ones, JPEG, PNG, GIF and BMP. Your pictures can change your images in random order, be automatically tiled, centered or resized to full screen.

Many other wallpaper changers only have the option to stretch your image to fill the screen. This usually ends up severely distorting the image. Wallpaper Changer allows you to keep the original aspect ratio (or they can be stretched also). In fact, Wallpaper Changer can analyze your picture and will determinate the best matching background and the most readable icon caption color for every wallpaper you apply to your desktop.

I have hundreds of images on my C drive but prefer the landscape shaped ones for wallpaper (images that are wider than their height). This makes it so there is less blank space on my screen. With portrait shaped images, you always have a wide margin to the left and right side of your wallpaper image. I found a way of finding only landscape images using another program called “File Bolter”. It has the rather unique feature of being able to find landscape shaped images in a desired folder. It uses a plug-in that is included in the download of the program. After I do a search using the “graphical files” plug-in, I just click on “File” then “Save found files list as…” and then I save it as a file with the *.wpl extension. After you save the file, you just open Wallpaper Changer, select “Open / Add” and select the file you saved. Wallpaper Changer recognizes the “File Bolter” list of files and that is all there is to it. “File Bolter” is a search tool that finds files on your C drive. Actually, this is the only purpose that I use File Bolter. There are other similar programs that I like better, but this is the only one that I have found that can list only landscaped shaped images.

Wallpaper Changer runs under Windows 9x, NT, 2000 and XP. The program requires no installation meaning you just unzip the file and double click on the executable with you file manager to run it. The download consists of a single compressed file, WallpaperChanger_v1.90.zip. When unzipped, it produces 54 files. Wallpaper.exe is the executable. When you double click on Wallpaper.exe, an icon will be placed in your system tray. Most of the files in the download support the Help documentation. To open the Help documentation, just open the “Help” folder and double click on “index.htm”. Another way of doing the same thing is to right click on the icon in your system tray and select “View Helpfile”.

Wallpaper Changer Home Page

Download Wallpaper Changer

File Bolter Home Page

Download File Bolter

3 Comments:

At July 24, 2005, Blogger Clif said...

Hi George. I'm going to recommend your site in today's Clif Note's Newsletter.
www.xanga.com/clifnotes_newsletter

I would like to feature future "guest" reviews from your blog in my newsletter. You would get full credit with links back to your blog. My newsletter has a growing base of freeware lovers like yourself. I started just over a year ago and I now have nearly 1000 subscribers. I've been featured at Fred's LangaList and I'm a member of the Freeware Revolution.

Let me know if you want to work with me.

Clif
http://clifnotes.net

 
At July 24, 2005, Blogger George said...

I checked out your site site and I like it. Sure, I'll work with you.

 
At July 24, 2005, Blogger Clif said...

Hi again, I just published the newsletter and your site is in it under "Cool Websites".
http://www.tonguewag.com/journals/clif5561/

Drop me a line back with your email address. clif.notes at gmail.com is mine. We'll talk a bit more about future reviews offline.

Clif Notes
Dedicated to promoting freeware and free information

 

Post a Comment

<< Home