Sunday, October 17, 2004

Screensaver Tool -- Screen Saver Toggle (version 1.0)

When I start my defragmentation and anti-virus programs, I leave the computer alone for awhile and do other things while the programs are running. The problem is that the screen saver starts and uses resources which make the programs run slower. It is time consuming going into the control panel to stop the screen saver and then restart it again when the programs stop running.

I found a program called Screen Saver Toggle that is so simple that I didn’t even attach a screen shot. The program puts an icon in your system tray that looks like a star field. When you click on the icon, it deactivates the screensaver and changes the icon to a star field crossed out with a red 'X'. When you click on it again, the red ‘X’ disappears and the screensaver is reactivated. If you forget to reactivate the screen saver when you shutdown your computer, the screen saver will be reactivated when you boot up your computer the next time.

That is all there is to it. Sometimes programs don’t have to be complicated to be useful.

The documentation states it works on Windows 9x through XP. The download consists of a single file, sstsetup.exe, which you double click with a file manager to install. After installation, the executable is sstoggle.exe.

Screen Saver Toggle Home Page

Download Screen Saver Toggle

4 Comments:

At October 30, 2004, Blogger Sadik said...

Hi George,
I have just noticed that you have been member to blogger explosion , add you blog here and you shall get really good traffic , you can see the traffic using counter at the bottom of the page. If not visit
http://www.statcounter.com/ its the one I use. I liked the concept of your blog too, I have a similar concept , I believe that all the free resource should be available to every body so I created blogs like
http://bloggerresource.blogspot.com/
http://affiliatejunction.blogspot.com/

I shall add your link on my page, if you wish you can also add...

 
At February 08, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

George, what a useful blog you have here... thanks a lot for your reviews.

anyway the link on Screen Saver Toogle is dead. Could you upload it on free upload site. Or upload any mirror... please.

Thanks
-npdv.indoheroes[at]yahoo.com-

 
At February 08, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Halo George... after some searching i got this software quite similar with that one here @

Tarsier-Project

------

- DeDi [A+]©2009 -

 
At February 08, 2009, Blogger George said...

I actually switched to "tarsier" because "Screen Saver Toggle" isn't available anymore. It works about the same. It is available here:

http://trainedmonkey.com/projects/tarsier/

George

 

Post a Comment

<< Home